Categories allocation

General discussion related to Metalogic Finance Explorer.
nicolleen

Categories allocation

Postby nicolleen » 15 Dec 2015, 13:58

Dear Metalogics,

here's the new puzzle.

I have fed the Finance explorer with my various bank and visa accounts, of which I have a pair, because I lived and worked abroad for a while.
Now when I download transactions from my other account, it recognises some of the entries by the set category rules. One, it recognises wrong, and two, those rules don't necessarily apply to the other account, let alone that the notes in the accounts are in different languages. Is there a way out of this? Can I tell MFE to apply the set category rules to a specific bank account, or can I create another set of category rules for another account or are the ticked accounts always in one pot?

Thanks a lot, best regards
niki

Metalogic
Site Admin

Re: Categories allocation

Postby Metalogic » 16 Dec 2015, 20:33

Let's try and break down the problem.

One, it recognises wrong

Can you elaborate on what is incorrectly recognized? What is the rule and what is the transaction that is being categorized incorrectly?

two, those rules don't necessarily apply to the other account

The rules are not account specific. So there's no way to have them apply to a single account.
However it shouldn't matter that the notes are in different languages. You can just set up each rule in the corresponding language and it will match the text accordingly.
Do note that the rules apply in order. So if the condition for rule #3 is satisfied for example, it will not continue evaluating rule #4 or any subsequent rules. Tweaking the rule order might help you here.
Enjoy our software? Then please submit a review.

nicolleen

Re: Categories allocation

Postby nicolleen » 17 Dec 2015, 00:18

Metalogic wrote:Can you elaborate on what is incorrectly recognized? What is the rule and what is the transaction that is being categorized incorrectly?

Oh yes, you are right! There is a string that got recognised! Ok, I will try to narrow down a couple of rules.
The rules are not account specific. So there's no way to have them apply to a single account.

Shame. Ok, tweaking and optimising the rules will be the way forward then.

Do note that the rules apply in order.

Ah, that explains some more confusion. Good to know, and I see I can change the order.

Thanks for your quick help!

lg
niki

Return to “General”