Share database

General discussion related to Metalogic Finance Explorer.
nicolleen

Share database

Postby nicolleen » 12 Sep 2015, 12:14

Dear Metalogics,

just in case you missed me ;-)

In the times of several computers, laptop, for some even phone, etc. data sharing has become a necessity.
I have been using Wuala cloud sharing, which unfortunately stopped its service. I have changed to Tresorit, which has no separate encrypted drive, and until now didn't have secure web access either. Nevertheless, it also offers with client side encryption with zero-knowledge policy a very secure and handy way to access some of my files from various devices and locations.

How can I share the MFE database? I haven't found a way to open it from a different location than the local preset Data folder. What can I do?

lg
niki

Metalogic
Site Admin

Re: Share database

Postby Metalogic » 14 Sep 2015, 20:19

Hi Niki,
Another option that you might want to check out for encrypted storage is SpiderOak (https://spideroak.com).

You are correct that you can't move the database out of the Db folder at this time. Coincidentally, I was already thinking about making some changes around that as the database should really live under the user's folder (C:\Users\user_name\...), not under "Program Files". There might be some change around that in the next release.

But for now, you can copy the entire "Finance Explorer" directory into your encrypted folder. mlFinExp.exe is under 1 MB so that shouldn't really take away from your storage. You then won't need to install it on every computer. You can run it directly from the synched folder on all the computers you use.

Let me know whether that solution works for you. The next release should make this easier.
Enjoy our software? Then please submit a review.

nicolleen

Postby nicolleen » 15 Sep 2015, 05:03

Dear Metalogics,

thank you very much for your reply, I'm definitely looking forward to the next releases! It would be perfect, if the user could choose the location of the database himself, e.g. throuh "open..." or "save as..." like I know from other programmes. Otherwise still thank you for this great and easy to use programme!!

SpiderOak seems also ok, but it is missing a couple of features and also I prefer the thought of the data being on European servers.
My experience with whole programmes on the sync folder is that it is a kind of feasible backup but not really an option to work with. But you are right, at the moment this is the way I'm handling this, as I also cannot see another way.

best regards
niki

Metalogic
Site Admin

Postby Metalogic » 27 Oct 2015, 21:12

Hi niki,
I'm pleased to announce that Metalogic Finance Explorer 8 has been released. Among other things, it allows you to specify a path to the database in mlfe.ini. Here is an example:

Code: Select all

[Settings]
DatabasePath=C:\Metalogic Finance Explorer\mfe.mdb

At this time the setting is not exposed on the options dialog so you will have to edit the .ini from any text editor and move the database manually. This will be improved in a future version.

mlfe.ini and DB\mfe.mdb are found here on existing installs:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Metalogic\Finance Explorer\
Or here on new installs:
%APPDATA%\Metalogic\Finance Explorer\

nicolleen

Postby nicolleen » 15 Dec 2015, 13:52

Dear Metalogic,

that's cool! Sorry I missed your update, only realized now!

I have the PortableApps install. The mlfe.ini is in the folder Data\
I have just tried it out, and it works!!

Thank you very much!!

I've got the next question... new thread. Thanks for all your work!!

best regards,
Niki

Metalogic
Site Admin

Postby Metalogic » 16 Dec 2015, 18:06

Hi Niki,
Glad it's working for you.

Good point on the location of mlfe.ini for portable installs. Should have mentioned that on my original post. I'll edit it to clarify.

As always, thank you for the great suggestions. They help make Finance Explorer better for all users.

By the way, if you want to keep an eye on a specific post, you can subscribe to it. You should see a wrench button at the bottom of the forum with some options.

All the best,
Metalogic

nicolleen

Postby nicolleen » 17 Dec 2015, 00:10

Ah, I didn't know the trick with the subscription. That makes things easier, thank you!

lg
niki

Return to “General”