Runtime Error

Ask questions and get help from your fellow Metalogic Finance Explorer users.
Metalogic
Site Admin

Re: Runtime Error

Postby Metalogic » 25 Apr 2015, 09:29

Adam,
Thank you for trying out the latest release and getting back to me.

I will contact you via email soon with some things we can try to resolve this issue.

All the best,
Metalogic
Enjoy our software? Then please submit a review.

buddhawilliams

Postby buddhawilliams » 16 Jun 2015, 19:14

Hi Metalogic,
I've come back after 3 months - sorry!
I've downloaded the latest version (7.2) It still doesn't work, but I don't get any error message at all. It just dies. The process lives about 10 seconds and that's it.
I downloaded the trace (which I noticed you have updated to 7.2) and tried those. Number 1 and Number 4 exhibit the same problem, with no log file generated. Number 2 and 3 come up with the Run time Error again, and no log file.
I have .Net Framework 4.5.2 installed and Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86 & x64)
Cheers
Paul

buddhawilliams

Postby buddhawilliams » 16 Jun 2015, 20:01

I'll add some more. Hopefully we can get this sorted.
I looked at eventvwr which wasn't very helpful (eventvwr.zip)

But there was a Windows Error Reporting record as well pointing to a WER file. The contents of that are attached (Report.zip)

Hopefully that is a little more useful?
Cheers
Paul

PS you need to say somewhere obvious what attachments are allowed in the forum. - tried .txt, .doc and .wer before trying .zip :-(
Attachments
eventvwr.zip
(579 Bytes) Downloaded 320 times
Report.zip
(1.6 KiB) Downloaded 386 times

Metalogic
Site Admin

Postby Metalogic » 17 Jun 2015, 22:28

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the details. I will review the logs and other information you provided and see if I can extract the cause of the issue.

By the way, some of the logging that I had sent you as a special build is now built into the latest version (7.3.1). If you want to try that, upon a crash it will leave a text file here (or wherever your install path is) with details:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Metalogic\Finance Explorer\temp\trace.txt

I'll look into the attachment issue. Thanks for pointing it out.

buddhawilliams

Postby buddhawilliams » 17 Jun 2015, 23:33

Hi Again...

just tried the 7.3.1 build. Still the same, and no temp directory created. I even ran it as administrator.
I created a temp dir and it didn't leave anything in it. :-/

It seems to be dying _really_ early on in the load sequence. I'm just annoyed I don't have the tools to help you debug it!

Metalogic
Site Admin

Postby Metalogic » 18 Jun 2015, 07:22

That's incredible. There's basically nothing happening before the temp directory gets created. Seems as if the program is not even loading properly.

You've given me enough information to analyze in the next few days. Hopefully there will be some good clues in there. Thank you for your continued assistance.

Metalogic
Site Admin

Postby Metalogic » 19 Jun 2015, 23:32

Paul,
I'm still analyzing the information you sent me. No breakthroughs yet but it has been helpful.

The good news is that tests 1 and 4 weren't expected to show anything as they have no form. They exist to gauge at what point the runtime error triggers. So the fact that there was no runtime error is the information that I was hoping to get out of those two tests.

The fact that none of them left a log file behind I think is a separate issue. The log is written to either C:\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\... Windows' User Account Control can do some funny things when writing to those folders and that may well be the source of that problem. I'll change that to write to the user folder instead.

I do have one concrete thing to try:
* Right-click on mlFinExp.exe
* Properties
* Compatibility
* Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
* Select Windows XP (Service Pack 3) from the list

That may allow the program to create the temp directory and write the log file.

buddhawilliams

Postby buddhawilliams » 23 Jun 2015, 16:07

Ahhh something there. (Sorry I've been away for a few days)

So I changed the compatibility on the main app. No change and no log files created.
As a lark, I changed it on the debug files - I got log files in c:\FinExp_*.log
I've attached them.

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
FinExpLog.zip
(813 Bytes) Downloaded 327 times

Metalogic
Site Admin

Postby Metalogic » 23 Jun 2015, 22:28

Thanks a lot for the logs. Glad we got at least one thing figured out: The UAC was preventing writing to C:\. It's not surprising but it is odd that it works fine on the several other Windows 7 installs that I've tested.

So far the logs confirm my suspicions from some of the other information you sent me. No smoking gun yet though. I'll keep reviewing...

Thanks for all your assistance so far.

Metalogic
Site Admin

Postby Metalogic » 27 Jun 2015, 22:49

I've had a chance to review the logs. While I haven't been able to figure out the exact cause yet, I've been able to narrow down the list of possible areas that could be causing the error on certain machines.

I've updated the debug files here:
http://www.metalogicsw.com/temp/mlFinExp_trace.zip

If you would be so kind as to run the new debug binaries and send me the logs. You will likely have to set the compatibility again so they can write to C:\ (I will be moving the log to a more appropriate location after the dust settles).

I apologize for the crude approach to analyzing this issue but with the inability to duplicate the problem on several machines, this is the best I can do.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Note that with summer here, my responses may be delayed a few days.

Return to “Help”