Quicken Data File Set Extensions

Ask questions and get help from your fellow Metalogic Finance Explorer users.
blumtnsky

Quicken Data File Set Extensions

Postby blumtnsky » 12 Jan 2011, 06:38

I'm running Quicken 2011 H&B which uses the QDF primary file extension. As such the program doesn't recognize it and it can't be imported. Is there a way to enable this format to work with MLFE? Will you be incorporating it in future updates?

Metalogic
Site Admin

Re: Quicken Data File Set Extensions

Postby Metalogic » 13 Jan 2011, 16:42

Hi blumtnsky,
My understanding is that QDF is the proprietary format used by Quicken rather than a file format for the exchange of information such as OFX and QIF. As such, there are no plans to support it.

However, you should be able to export your data from Quicken as OFX/QFX. If neither option is available you can export to the older QIF format. Any of those formats can be imported to MLFE.

Hope this helps.
Enjoy our software? Then please submit a review.

dwahlstedt

Postby dwahlstedt » 15 Feb 2011, 15:21

Damn, I wish I'd have seen this post before I tried importing my Quicken .QDF data file directly. By simply touching that file and finding out that it was not a supported format MLFE has *destroyed* the file and it is no longer usable by Quicken. My most recent backup is from nearly a year ago, so I'm really screwed. Any suggestions for me?

Metalogic
Site Admin

Postby Metalogic » 15 Feb 2011, 19:00

Hi dwahlstedt,
If MLFE changed the file, it would have saved the original with a .org extension. For example:
MyFile.qdf > MyFile.qdf.org

Check if you have that file. If you do, simply rename it from .org to its original name and you should be all set.

Kazee

Postby Kazee » 25 Sep 2012, 21:23

Hi

Windows provide is set file quickening data with extensions.

Extensions of Quicken Data:

.qdf , .qph , .idx etc
Kazee

Metalogic
Site Admin

Postby Metalogic » 27 Sep 2012, 20:53

Hi Kazee,
Quicken creates a number of files with different extensions. Not all of these store account/transaction data. The QDF is its main data file. It is stored in a proprietary format that MLFE cannot import. Quicken however should have an option to export your data in OFX or the older QIF format. Those formats are interoperable and are what banks provide as download options.

MLFE can import either of those formats (sometime they have different extensions such as OFC). OFX being a newer format is preferred but if not available, you can use QIF.

So rather than importing QDF directly, you will need to export to one of those formats first and then import to MLFE.

Hope this helps,
Metalogic

Return to “Help”