Create an OFX file from an Excel Export

Ask questions and get help from your fellow Metalogic Finance Explorer users.
Jenga

Create an OFX file from an Excel Export

Postby Jenga » 13 Jan 2011, 06:06

My bank allows me to export my movements only in Excel format.
So I did a little search, copy, paste and some adaptation to create an Excel macro that generates an OFX file that can be imported in Finance Explorer, starting from the Excel file provided by my bank.
I took the original code from here: http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/540.aspx [Note: the link is not working...]

Here you can find a screenshot and some basic instructions on how to use it and a link to download the excel file.
I didn't tested it extensively, I created it with Excel 2003 SP3 so I really don't know if it works on other versions of the Microsoft product.
Use it at your own risk!
If you find problems or want to make suggestions or modifications, please post here a note.
Please, if you re-use it, credit me and the person who created the original code.

How to use Excel Macro
First of all you need to configure your excel so that it is allowed to use macro (some version doesn't allow macro by default, other ask what to do every time you open a file)
1) under account information you need to put the account number you are importing into MFE. If you put here an account number that does not exist in MFE, it will ask you to create a new one. Other data in the black box are needed for the macro to work, but are ignored by MFE during import.
2) in the yellow cells you need to insert the data. I made a link to the other sheet in the Excel to copy the field needed by MFE. You may need to adapto the formulas in this cells to fit the excel file format of your bank.
3) fill in the path where you want the macro to write the file (in the example it is C:\Finance.OFX)
4) push the button! The macro will generate the OFX file in the path specified, and then you can import it in MFE (refer to the MFE tutorial for the instructions on how to do this!).

That's all.
You can download the Excel file and an OFX sample file from here

Metalogic
Site Admin

Re: Create an OFX file from an Excel Export

Postby Metalogic » 13 Jan 2011, 09:54

Thank you Jenga for this excellent contribution! I have added an entry to the Help page which points to this post (with proper credit to you ;)).
Enjoy our software? Then please submit a review.

knutgsl

RE: Create an OFX file from an Excel Export

Postby knutgsl » 05 Feb 2012, 09:59

Hi,

I have updated the macro in this file to support Microsoft Office 2011 on Mac OS X. I have also improved the usability with the button and saving of a OXF file.

Please feel to download it from http://freeactivityplan.angelfire.com/exceldownloads/

Some other example excel files with macros are also downloadable for free on this link :)

Thanks for the macro you made, it helped me alot.

Regards,
Knut

Metalogic
Site Admin

Re: Create an OFX file from an Excel Export

Postby Metalogic » 05 Feb 2012, 23:02

Thank you Knut for contributing!

PS: I turned your link into a real link.

All the best,
Metalogic
Enjoy our software? Then please submit a review.

Return to “Help”